This is a read only archive of pad.okfn.org. See the
== Open Science Working Group APAC Meeting - May 2015 ==
When : 07 May 2015, 08:00 UTC (visit http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meeting.html to convert into your timezones) - 16:00 Hong Kong/China/Singapore Time
How : skype (there were requests for Jitsi, but everyone would need a webcam https://meet.jit.si/)
Topic : Open Science : How can we use Free Software, Open Data, Open Access & OER to foster Open Science
* Recommended to refer to this wiki for any reference : http://wiki.okfn.org/Open_Science/APACMonthlyCalls
Facebook Event : https://www.facebook.com/events/1648780738676993/
Last call minutes: https://pad.okfn.org/p/sciencewg-apac-Mar2015 (& https://pad.okfn.org/p/sciencewg-apac-Jan2014)
Organiser : Scott Edmunds
Participants requested to add their name and Skype ID below :
Scott Edmunds (s.c.edmunds)
Ranjith Raj Vasam (ranjithrajvasam)
Daniel Mietchen (daniel_mietchen)
Chen-Yi Tu (armigil)
Joe McArthur (joseph_mcarthur)
Rob Davidson (bobbledavidson)
Naureen Nayyar (iamnora80)
Fabiana Kubke (superfabs)
Subhashish Panigrahi (psubhashish)
Richard Littauer (richard.littauer)
Kostas Repanas (krepanas) will be in japan so most likely can't join this call
Watching the pad:
1. Introductions - who is on the call and what is your interest in open science?
Scott Edmunds/Rob Davidson - Open Data Hong Kong/GigaScience
Joe McArthur - Open Access Button/R2RC (newb to the call)
Richard Littauer - MIT Media Lab
Naureen Nayyar - ScienceHackday Bangkok plus involved in WikiMania. Setting up Open Data ASEAN group (nice!)
Daniel Mietchen (OKF-DE & NIH) - making the research workflow open
Chen-Yi Tu - OKFN Taiwan
Fabiana Kubke - OA and CC in New Zealand
Ranjith Raj Vasam - Free Software activist and Open Knowledge advocate.
Subhashish Panigrahi - Free Knowledge activist, Wikimedian and Open Knowledge advocate
2. News/updates from your regions
- Daniel wanting to know about wikimedia related events in the region. Anybody here know of anything?
- I would like to go to wikimedia events in India related to Open Access, Open Data & Open Science. Are there any ? (-Ranjith)
- The Mozilla global sprint in June is global: http://www.mozillascience.org/global-sprint-2015
- There are multiple Indian language Wikipedia/Wikimedia outreach happening in India, maybe I could be contacted to update in a regular basis. (-Subha)
- London science conference: https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/Wikipedia_Science_Conference
- R2RC - open access, but leading into open data as well. Working with OA India and NZ, keen to touch base with student organisations, early career researcher in our respective countries.
- Open Access Button - need outreach and increased awareness in APAC. Need development help here. Have google groups, but best to go through website and GitHub https://github.com/OAButton
3. Ideas for open science projects in Asia-Pacific region?
- ScienceHackday says likely some sponsorship funds for events outside the US (contact email@example.com & see https://twitter.com/arielwaldman/status/573669754176585728
- There is a plan to have one early next year in New Zealand (-Fabiana)
- There is a plan to have one in Hyderabad, India in this August.(-Ranjith)
- Never too early to start thinking about plans Open Access week (October http://www.openaccessweek.org/). Theme this year is synergy/collaboration.
- We are starting to think about that at UoA and possibly building some reources in conjunction with CCANZ (-Fabiana)
- Need help translating wikipedia OA week page into different languages https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Access_Week (-Daniel)
Need for an "events" page to let people know about open-sciencey events (especially in the region). OA week usually good showing events then, but need something for the rest of the year. There is already a very N American focused one, but they can give people here editing rights (any volunteers?): https://twitter.com/MozillaScience/status/595995007229693952
- News from OKFnAu on OKFest APAC: seems like it will be April 2016, with planning starting immediately after GovHack red carpet in July. See: http://au.okfn.org/2015/03/31/board-meeting-31-march-2015/
- Any news or plans to attend OpenCon ( http://opencon2015.org/ ) - this year in Brussels - attendees get to meet with policy makers. 85% attendees get grants to go. 2000 applicants - 150 got in. Plans to take up satellite events to take up the slack. OpenCon team help with organisation of a really professional satellite event (10 around the world last year, though APAC under-represented). Applications for main meeting open on June 1st. Want help publicising, sponsorship, etc. in this region, plus keen to do more events here.
- OKFN Taiwan may organize a OpenCon satellite event at Taipei, now in discussion https://taipeiio.hackpad.com/OpenCon-2015--f6ed218Zmmr (I would like to attend the main event, too)
- WikiMania in Mexico City (https://wikimania2015.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page) Naureen & Daniel both going.
- Wikimedia hackathon in Lyon in a few weeks - possibility for people to contribute remotely
- BOSC - Bioinformatics Open Source Conference, July in Dublin (http://www.open-bio.org/wiki/BOSC_2015)
Request from Jeroen Bosman we take a look & discuss their work cataloguing the >475 tools and workflows an open researcher can use. See http://dx.doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.1286826 and add info here http://bit.ly/innoscholcomm-list.
6. Next call(s). Any volunteers? (None during the meeting, but feel free to add your details here or email)